Go To Search
Click to Home
Animal Complaint FAQ

Animal Complaints FAQ

Additional information can be found at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health website and the Department of Agricultural Resources

What do I do if animals are attracting rodents?

If you have a complaint regarding rodents being attracted to a property because of the improper storing of food or waste associated with the keeping of an animal, you can contact the Gloucester Health Department. An inspector will be sent to the site to investigate and if an issue if found to exist, an enforcement order to remediate the problem will be sent.

Applicable Regulation: Massachusetts General Law Chapter 111 Section 122 – “Regulations relative to nuisances; examinations”

Helpful Links:
Preventing Rodents From Entering Your Home
Rodent Prevention Tips

What if I think animals are making too much noise?

If your complaint is related to the noise made by animals, please contact the Gloucester Building Department to file a complaint. The Building Department will investigate nuisance noises based on sound limits set in the City Code of  Ordinances. If the Building Department issues a determination that the limits for the levels and duration of a noise do not constitute a violation of the Code of Ordinances, then you can file an appeal with the Gloucester Board of Health. The Health Department will investigate and provide its results to the Board at the next available public meeting of the Board.

 Applicable Regulations: Gloucester City Code of Ordinances Section 13-9 - "Public nuisance noises" and Section 13-15 - "Notice of violation; hearing; appeals" and Gloucester Zoning Ordinance Section 4.4 - "Noise, Litter and Smoke Standards"


An animal got loose and was killed, or injured. Who should I report this to?

If you believe that an animal has died, or is injured, due to neglect, please report the incident by contacting the Animal Control Officer for the Gloucester Police Department for investigation

 Applicable Regulation: Gloucester City Code of Ordinances Chapter 4 - “Animals”

 For more information, please contact:

 Gloucester Health Department


 Gloucester Building Department


 Gloucester Police Department - Animal Control Officer


Home     Contact Us     Documents     Pay Bills     Departments     Translate     Sitemap     Accessibility     Employment     Copyright     Powered by CivicPlus