Trash & Recycling
The City of Gloucester offers weekly curbside trash and recycling for single family – multi family (4 apartment max) residences.
- Place trash and recyclables on curb no later than 7:00am
- All trash must be in official City issued trash bags. Trash in any other bag will not be picked up.
- Bags are sold in packets of 5 (some locations sell single bags) at several local convenience and grocery stores:
- Large bags (33 gallons) are $2.25
- Small bags (13 gallons/kitchen size) are $1.25 each
- Bags must be closed and tied
- Closed City-designated bags can be placed curbside either inside or outside of your trash barrel
- Bags and/or barrels cannot weigh more than 50 pounds
- To dispose of an item that does not fit in the purple bag, you will need to purchase a $10 Bulk Item Sticker. Examples of bulk items include furniture, plastic-cased vacuum cleaners, mattresses, rugs, entertainment centers, toilets. These stickers may be purchased at:
- The Building Center on Harbor Loop
- Stop & Shop on Thatcher Road
- Department of Public Works (DPW) office on Poplar Street
- Appliances, computer monitors, televisions and dehumidifiers are picked up curbside once a month after a $30.00 sticker has been purchased at the DPW.
- Businesses, non profits and private schools are not eligible for City pick up of trash, recycling, bulk items, and curbside appliance pick up.
For a complete guide to our trash and recycling program, please see our 2021 Recycling Brochure.
If your trash was missed, please call our current trash hauler:
JRM Hauling & Recycling
(800) 323-4285 or the DPW Office (978) 325-5600
Trash Pick Up Schedule by Street Listing
Not sure when your trash day is? Please view our Trash Pick Up Schedule (PDF).