Inspector of Wires
Code Enforcement and Responsibilities
The duty of the Inspector of Wire is to enforce the Massachusetts Electrical Code 527 CMR 12.00.
The purpose of the Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.
This Code shall be used by the authority enforcing the Code and exercising legal jurisdiction over electrical installations.
The City of Gloucester only grants electrical permits to individuals that hold electrical/system licenses issued by the State of Massachusetts.
Responsibilities of the Inspector of Wires:
- Enforcing the Massachusetts Electrical Code 527 CMR 12.00
- Approving electrical plans for new and renovated buildings
- Assisting the Fire Department in inspections of fires due to faulty electrical devices and seeing that permits are issued for repairs due to fire damage
- Conducting and certifying inspections of schools, public buildings, day care centers, nursing homes, establishments serving alcohol, hotels/motels, multi-families, places of assembly, and similar facilities
- Enforcement of fire alarm regulations for new and renovated buildings
- Inspecting all residential, commercial and industrial jobs
- Receiving and granting permits
- Scheduling inspections on a weekly basis (requires 24 hour advance notice)
Inspectors are in the office and available to review online permit submissions, and answer questions:
- Monday through Friday
8:30 am to 9:30 am by appointment
- Monday through Thursday
1:00 pm to 2:00 pm by appointment
Anyone traveling a considerable distance should call first to confirm the availability of an inspector.