THE MISSION OF THE CITY CLERK'S OFFICE is to keep and to preserve the official public documents and records of the City of Gloucester; to conduct and preserve the integrity of elections; to provide administrative support services to the Legislative body and to meet other regulatory requirements established by law.
CITY COUNCIL The City Clerk's office works closely with the City Council and prepares its bi-weekly agendas and meeting packets, as well as the agendas and meeting packets for its Standing Committees, and takes the minutes of those meetings. Applications for Special Permits through City Council, Pole Petitions, Rezoning Applications and Special Event Permit Road Closures are submitted to the City Clerk's office for referral to the City Council.
ELECTIONS & CENSUS The City Clerk's office is responsible for conducting and processing the annual street list (AKA the local census); voter confirmation mailings; voter registration; and, conducting all local, state and federal elections in Gloucester.
LICENSES & PERMITS In conjunction with the Licensing Commission and other permitting authorities, the City Clerk's office processes applications for Business Certificates (AKA "DBA Certificates"), Raffle Permits, Tag Day (AKA "Canning") Permits, Transient Vendor Permits, Hawker & Peddler Licenses, Taxi and Livery Licenses, Class I, II, III Licenses, Cinema Licenses, Arcade Licenses, Junk Dealer/Second Hand/Antique Dealer Licenses and Pool/Billiard/Bowling Licenses.
NOTARY PUBLIC & COMMISSIONER SERVICES The City Clerk's office provides notary services to the general public. PLEASE NOTE that the City Clerk's office cannot notarize wills, deeds, real estate transactions and power of attorney documents. The cost is $2.00 per signature.
The City Clerk's office also provides commissioner services to qualify public office. There is no fee for this service but an appointment is required.
VITAL RECORDS The City Clerk's office issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records. We register births (including home birth registrations), deaths and marriage certificates, and issue marriage licenses.
LINKS OF INTEREST:
- Code of Ordinances and City Charter
- Disabled Veteran/Handicap Parking Spaces in Gloucester (PDF)
- Fishing License information - Freshwater (the City Clerk's office does not issue fishing licenses)
- Fishing License information - Saltwater (the City Clerk's office does not issue fishing licenses)
- Guide to Massachusetts Public Records Law
- Hunting License Information (the City Clerk's office does not issue hunting licenses)
- Massachusetts Open Meeting Law Guidelines
- Massachusetts Office of Campaign and Political Finance
- Outline of Massachusetts Conflict of Interest Law
- Vendor Regulations by the State