- Boards & Commissions
- Community Preservation Committee
Community Preservation Committee
The Community Preservation Act (MGL Chapter 44B) allows any city or town in the Commonwealth Commonwealth of Massachusetts to adopt a property tax surcharge of up to 3%, the revenues from which are matched by State funds. This fund can only be used to: preserve open space and historic sites, create affordable housing, and develop outdoor recreational facilities. In 2008 Gloucester citizens voted to adopt the CPA with a 1% tax surcharge. As required by the CPA a local Community Preservation Committee was formed to make recommendations on CPA projects to the Mayor and the City Council.
Community Preservation Committee Responsibilities include,
- Develop a Community Preservation Plan. To see Gloucester's plan visit: Gloucester's Community Preservation Plan
- Solicit public input to maintain that Plan. The CPC must hold at least one public hearing annually to get input from the general public, and use that input to keep Gloucester's Community Preservation Plan up to date.
- Review and Recommend CPA Projects. The CPC accepts project proposals from the community and reviews them with the aim of selecting the most compelling projects for recommendation to the Mayor and the City Council.
- Keep records and report on the CPA Budget. The CPC is required to keep records of all CPC meetings, proposals, and recommendations, and to submit a CPA budget annually to the City Council.
Applying for CPA Funds
We are now accepting 2023 applications! The 2023 CPA Funding Round will take place according to the following schedule:
- Open for Applications: Wednesday February 1, 2023
- Informational Meeting: Tuesday February 21, 2023
- Project Eligibility Forms due: Tuesday March 7, 2023
- Completed Applications due: Tuesday May 2, 2023
- Final Application Approval: January 2024
- Funds Available: March 2024
CPC Eligibility Forms and Applications must be submitted by visiting Neighborly, a web-based grant management system. Please visit Neighborly to register and complete the required forms. For questions or assistance please contact Gloucester's Grant Manager at Community Development.
Important note for projects involving City-Owned Land. Applicants proposing a project that includes work being done on City-Owned Land MUST contact the Mayor's Office to execute a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the applicant and the city BEFORE the CPC will accept your Eligibility Application. This MOU will be considered sufficient documentation of site control. For questions or assistance please contact Gloucester's Grant Manager at Community Development.
- Community Preservation Committee meetings are open to the public and are typically held on the third Tuesday of each month. Meeting details will be posted under Public Notices on the City's website.
- Currently all meetings are being conducted virtually. Go to Virtual Meetings to find out more. All virtual meetings are being recorded. Go to Past Remote Public Meetings on the City's website to view.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to CPC meetings.
Most Recent Agenda | View All
Minutes are available upon approval of the CPC.
Most Recent Minutes | View All
Contacting the CPC
To reach the CPC please contact Gloucester's Grants Manager at Community Development or call (978) 325-5230.
Helpful links for Potential CPA Project Applicants
- CPA Overview
- Is Our Project Allowable?
- CPA Success Stories
- Sample Application: Avis Murray Boulevard Tennis Courts
- Many more helpful articles are available by visiting Community Preservation Coalition
CPA Projects Approved in 2021
- Annisquam Village Church - Exterior Restoration
- First Parish Burial Ground - Stone Restoration
- Gloucester 400 - Photo Restoration and Archiving
- Gloucester Meetinghouse Foundation - Meetinghouse Green Restoration
- Hammond Castle Museum - Archway Restoration
- Ocean Alliance - Engineering and Permit Study
- Sawyer Free Library - Saunders House Murals
- Schooner Adventure - Rudder Restoration
- Trustees of Reservations - Ravenswood Parking Improvements
- OFF CYCLE - Action Inc - Tenant Based Rental Assistance 2022
All CPA Projects
The Community Preservation Coalition maintains a database of all projects funded by the CPA, in Gloucester and other towns and cities in the Commonwealth.