Archivist and Department Co-Chair
9 Dale Avenue
This department is volunteer run and hours are subject to change without notice. Please call in advance of your visit.
Hours are Monday thru Friday
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
The Archives Office will be closed on Wednesday, July 3, 2019 thru Friday, July 5, 2019.
Gloucester Archives is the repository of the town and City municipal records. The
department contains one of the most complete collections of municipal records in the U.S., beginning before the town’s 1642 incorporation. The documents cover many different areas, including but not limited to:
- Engineers' maps
- Military records dating from the Revolution
- Overseers of the Poor records, including children's indentures
- Property records and maps
- Vital records for genealogists
These documents are housed in the Town and City Record Guide, Volumes One and Two. In addition, research tools in the office include:
- Annual reports
- City directories
- Peterson file (a vertical file of newspaper clippings and pamphlets)
- Studies and reports
- Various other databases
The vast collection has been maintained and organized since 1987 by the volunteer Gloucester Archives Committee.