This building is Gloucester’s third seat of government. The first was a Town House now known as the Legion Memorial Building on Washington Street. The second Town House was built on Dale Avenue (the present site) in 1867 but was destroyed by a fire in 1869. The present building was dedicated in June 1871.
The architects were Gridley J.F. Bryant and Louis P. Rogers from Boston.