Engineering is a Division of the City of Gloucester Department of Public Works. The Engineering Division is led by the City Engineer who reports to the Director of Public Works. Engineering provides assistance to other DPW Divisions as well as other City Departments (such as Inspectional Services, Conservation, Planning, Fire, Police, etc.) on an as-requested basis. Our principal duties involve Drainage & Grading Plan Reviews; coordination of GIS efforts associated with DPW operations - particularly water and sewer - and archival oversight of infrastructure-related plans and records. Research assistance is provided to the public on street layouts, sanitary sewer lines and storm drains, field surveys, bench marks, street histories, and other infrastructure-related questions.
Please do not call Engineering if you are having water or sewer service problems as we have no operational role in system maintenance; please see the contact information below for important numbers.
- For emergencies or problems with your STEP Sewer System, please call the STEP Service Vendor’s call center at (800) 499-9070.
- For emergencies or problems with your City-owned Grinder Sewerage Pump, please contact the Grinder Pump Service Vendor at (800) 499-9070.
- For operational issues with water or sewer service, please call the Department of Public Works (DPW) Utilities Division at (978) 325-5600.
- Outside of normal business hours, please call Gloucester Police at (978) 283-1212 and they will page the DPW’s on-call staff person.
- Permits for connections to City Utilities, for Street Openings, or for Curb-Cuts are administered by DPW Office, 28 Poplar Street, Gloucester, MA 01930 (978) 325-5600.
- For other City utility concerns during business hours, please call the DPW Utilities Division at (978) 325-5600.
- In the case of water quality issues, please call The DPW Water Compliance Office at (978) 281-9792.